LOCATION: POSITION ON VANCOUVER ISLAND OR NORTHERN BC
WORK SPACE: MUST HAVE OWN FUNCTIONAL WORK SPACE
POSITION: 2 ONGOING PART-TIME POSITIONS AVAILABLE
The Rick Hansen Institute (RHI) is a Canadian-based not-for-profit organization located in Vancouver BC, that drives innovation in spinal cord injury (SCI) research and care. By facilitating an international network of stakeholders, including researchers, healthcare professionals, entrepreneurs, investors, and people with SCI and their supporters, we strive to improve the lives of people living with SCI in Canada and around the world. The Rick Hansen Institute is proudly accredited by Imagine Canada.
Consistent with RHI’s vision, mission and strategic plan, and in accordance with RHIs’ Consumer Program Roadmap, the Regional Consumer Liaison is responsible for strengthening engagement among a wide variety of stakeholders in the SCI community. Internally, the Regional Consumer Liaison will work closely with RHI staff located in Vancouver BC , including program directors, project leads, and research staff. This role will also work closely with two other regional positions, remotely.
Externally this role will work with individuals from the SCI community, Canadian SCI networks, provincial, national and international SCI groups and associations, consumer-oriented research project teams, and key donors and funders. The successful candidate will be an effective relationship-builder with a track record in proactively identifying the challenges and opportunities in collaboratively moving projects forward with diverse stakeholders.
The Regional Consumer Liaison is responsible for:
- Identifying opportunities and initiatives to engage SCI consumers within BC in support of RHI’s operational strategies and activities;
- Representing RHI to consumers, communities, and healthcare groups
- Increasing stakeholder awareness of the challenges of living with SCI and the role of research in addressing these challenges;
- Engaging stakeholders to encourage inclusion of the SCI community perspective into RHI initiatives and programs, and aid in developing successful partnerships and collaboration between RHI, consumers, and stakeholder groups through meeting organization and facilitation;
- Assisting in identifying, planning, coordinating and delivering structured knowledge exchange opportunities such as Health Cafés, Lunch n’ Learns, in-services, and presentations;
- Participating in RHI planning, priority setting, resource identification, strategy and policy development, and project management through providing feedback based on BC regional SCI community perspectives;
- Contributing to the work of RHI’s Cure, Care and Commercialization Programs, including proposal review, consultation and representation by providing input based on regional SCI lens;
- Providing input and advice to RHI on the interests, needs, priorities and concerns of people living with spinal cord injuries;
- Facilitating meetings and preparing and delivering presentations;
- Travelling as required within BC and Canada; and
- Providing other supporting duties as requested.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Post secondary education an asset
- 1 to 2 years of experience in a comparable role, working within the community (public, patient, consumer engagement)
- Experience working with or in health research or the healthcare environment
- Lived experience of SCI
- A strong connection to the SCI community, and knowledge of the issues, needs and priorities of individuals with SCI
- Experience setting goals and meeting objectives
- Hands-on experience planning and delivering social media supported communications will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of the SCI health research environment an asset
- Knowledge of the British Columbia healthcare system an asset
- Knowledge of effective communication strategies with target audiences, including social media usage strategies
- Communication skills, with a strong emphasis on public presentation skills
- Relationship building skills
- Creative problem-solving and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to facilitate meetings in an effective manner
- Ability to build consensus and influence without direct authority
- Ability to show initiative and exercise good judgment
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates can apply here by October 18, 2019 . While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For more information on the Rick Hansen Institute, please visit our website at www.rickhanseninstitute.org.